How Books Saved the Introvert

Today, 2nd January is World Introvert Day. It could not come at a more perfect time for introverts like me. Most people have spent the last week meeting up with friends and family, rarely having time for ourselves. Although it is good to spend time with others, the Christmas period can be hella draining.

I for one am feeling the effect of all this socialisation, I’m knackered and I need to recharge my social battery, as that sucker is empty! How do I recharge my battery you ask? Well, this is a book blog so…….

1. Plan to spend the day reading

When I don’t have time to read I feel lost, I can’t focus and I feel hella stressed. If however, I plan a day that is just reading I have that to look forward to and life seems easier. All you need for this is a book, duh, snacks and a comfy blanket topped off with a beverage of your choice for the perfect day.

2. Visit the library

I’m the kind of introvert that sometimes doesn’t want to be in the house but does not want to interact with other humans also. That makes sense right? To balance this I go to the library, it’s full of books and I can sit on a sofa and forget the world.

3. Audiobooks in crowds

Crowds are my hell! Whether that be when doing the Christmas shopping in December or doing paperwork in the office. The noise is too much, I get flustered and sometimes have a panic attack. To combat this I listen to audiobooks, they zone me in so I forget how many people are around me and I feel calm. Without them no one would have got their Christmas presents this year!

4. Always carry a book

A book is like a shield against the world or extra points on your life meter. When I have a book with me I feel safe. It’s strange but it has always been like this for me. I’m thankful for technology because if I forget my physical book I know I have hundreds of eBooks to read if I feel overwhelmed. Top tip: ebooks are fantastic for social gatherings, physical books too antisocial? Fine, I’ll just pretend I’m on Facebook when really I’m reading Mwahahaha.

5. Book Friends

Nothing makes me feel happier than being able to discuss books with other people. Social gatherings would be so much easier for me if everyone read. I’m lucky to have a bf who has started reading fantasies who actually asks about what I’m reading and it makes me feel relaxed to talk about books when stressed. Sadly not many of the people I talk to in person are into reading so I find socialising hard, I mean what do non-readers talk about! That’s why I’m so thankful that I started this blog and talk to amazing people daily on the book blogger discord server! So thankful that Evelina @ Avalinah Books added me to the group. It makes life easier knowing there are people to fangirl over books just a second away!

Are you an introvert? How has reading helped you?

30 thoughts on “How Books Saved the Introvert

1. Ibukun says:

I’ve never really paid attention to World Introvert Day (maybe because everyday is introvert day for me). I can so relate to having to carry a book everywhere with me, though.

2. Jess @ Combing Through the Pages says:

I loved that you called out the fact it’s okay to ignore everyone for Facebook, but not for a book! This post was great my daughter heard me laughing and came and read it too! πŸ˜‚ We also have no idea what non-readers talk about!! Happy Introvert Day and hope you’re enjoying your book!

3. esmoogle says:

I’ve always got a book in my bag, I feel lost if there’s not one in there; my checklist is purse, phone, headphones, BOOK! Also your point in #2 about not wanting to be in the house but not wanting to talk to people? Big mood. I also like snuggling down in a quiet corner of a coffee shop to get out but avoid socialising.

4. lovemonicarose says:

I always feel cool cause I’m practically a walking library hahaha e-books from various sources on my phone plus audiobooks. Then I usually bring my kindle and a physical book. That’s it, I’m geared to face the world πŸ˜‚ if I feel overwhelmed I go to a different world. My way of saying “Good day, humans”.

Liked by 1 person

5. Kaitlyn says:

Ohh, I’m the complete opposite with crowds and audiobooks! Well, at least with shopping. I wouldn’t be able to listen to anything, even music, because I’d feel like I would miss something important/dangerous if I had my ear buds in when shopping? Lol, I know that’s just my anxiety, but it’s interesting that it has the opposite effect on you! This was a wonderful post. πŸ™‚

6. Melanie (TBR and Beyond) says:

I love this post so much and totally relate. Books help me stay social – at least online. I’m a very private and quiet person and I find social things exhausting, but I love talking to bookish friends! As you know, I also run a bookclub online and that has really taken me social life and book life to the next level. Have met so many amazing friends! It’s so great for introverts like us!

• Lili Star Reads says:

Thank you! Social things are so exhausting, it’s why books are amazing, I can forget the social soon as I get in a book. I think books have given me the opportunity to talk a lot more than I normally would and an outlet for all the words I need to get out!

7. Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) says:

Ugh. I can imagine the holidays being a huge drain. My biggest drain is work on an often basis, so that’s enough to last the holiday season for years to come!

I LOVE ebooks for the sole reason of using it with social gatherings, haha. I can pretend I’m doing something or look busy when I’m really not. Plus carrying around my phone with ebooks is a lot easier than carrying a bunch of books knowing that I might run out.

• Lili Star Reads says:

I understand the drain of work, I find it awkward to try come up with conversations every day with the same people.

The feeling you get when you only have 50 pages left in your book and might need some emergency reading! I completely agree with ebooks because you always have more than one with you.

8. Gayathri Lakshminarayanan says:

I am not an introvert but I need some space after hanging out with people for a while. That is the time books become my solace. I love this post.

9. kozbisa says:

My kindle is definitely a shield, which keeps people from engaging with me unless I want them too. Books and audiobooks are also awesome for when you have to go it alone. I listen to audiobooks, when I run errands or have to eat alone.